Thursday, March 24, 2011

Flower Pounding Card Tutorial

Flower pounding is one of my favorite spring crafts to do with the kids. (Of course you could do it year round but my favorite flowers to use are in bloom during the spring and early fall.)


First you have to gather your supplies. You’ll need paper or something else to use as your background. We were making cards so we used heavy card stock. I wouldn’t recommend normal copy/printer paper as it is probably too flimsy. You can also pound your flowers onto plain white cotton or unbleached muslin and frame your picture.( I’m sure there must be a way to fix the color well enough to become wearable, washable art but I am not sure how. I know that some of you ladies out there, who regularly dye your own wools and fabrics using natural dyes, must know of a way to fix the color, but I just haven’t learned how to do that yet. If anyone knows how I’d love to learn! )
  • Paper or cloth for the background
  • Hammers (one for each person who wants to pound if possible!)
  • A hard flat surface (that won’t be damaged by hammering on top of it)
  • A basket (to hold the flowers you gather)
  • Scissors (to help remove stems and pick flowers)
  • A small scrap piece of cotton fabric (to lay on top of your flowers while you pound) We used an old scrap of a threadbare sheet. You can also use tissue paper or paper towels in a pinch, but the fabric will hold up better to repeated pounding with the hammer.
  • Flowers and leaves!!! (Flat open faced flowers work the best. Pansies and yellow daisies are my favorites. You can experiment with all types and colors of flowers; you might be surprised at what works and what doesn’t. Fern leaves are also beautiful to use in this craft. Colorful fall leaves look gorgeous when pounded too.
  • Pencils, markers, crayons, etc. (to draw and write in your cards)
Now go outside with some enthusiastic children and gather your flowers and colorful leaves. Get lots!
 Make sure you take time to smell the flowers and enjoy being in the sunshine with your precious little ones. Enjoy the feel of the dew wet grass tickling your toes. I always try to remember that I will have these sweet boys under my care for such a short period of time, there is so much fun and learning that I want to share with them before they grow and start families of their own! I want them to have happy memories of their childhood that they will want to recreate someday with their own children.



Once you have a bunch of pretty flowers gathered in your basket you can set to work.


If you are making cards like we did, then you’ll need to fold your paper in half and decide which side you want up and how the card should open. Then lay your paper our flat and carefully place a flower face down in whatever position pleases you the best. If the flower you’ve chosen has a large stem on the back or a very juicy part where it connects to the stem you may want to carefully cut that piece off. I find it easiest to do this by laying the flower where I want it and holding it’s petals in place with my left hand and carefully cutting the juicy part off with scissors in my right hand.
Then without disturbing the petals as much as possible lay your tissue paper (that’s what we used) on top of the flower holding it in place with one hand while you lightly tap on top of the flower with your hammer. Little ones may need your help holding the flower with tissue paper over it while the tap with the hammer. Tap all around the flower, hitting it with your hammer as flatly as possible.

Once your tissue paper looks wet all over on top of the whole flower carefully peel the tissue paper back and peel up the pounded flower.
 And there you have it! Your flower should have transferred all of its pretty color onto your paper. Continue adding more flowers and leaves to your art until you are pleased with the outcome! You can add stems to your flowers by pounding or drawing them on with colored pencils. This craft is as much fun in the making as it is enjoying the final product!


9 comments:

  1. Oh wow... this is stunning!!! We'll be doing this for sure... never knew you could do that!! Thanks so much for sharing on Friday's Nature Table. Blessings and magic,
    Donni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not seen this before. The results look amazing. We are adding this to our list for the weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea, and how attractive they look, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look beautiful. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know that I had a go at this today. I found that not all flowers are as suitable as others! I found pansies the best. Thank you for sharing this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial! I did this a couple years ago, and I think I may have to get out the idea again! Thanks again!
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an amazing idea!

    Thank you so much for sharing. I love making home-made cards with the kids as all our families are overseas so we are always looking for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I shared a link to this on my blog, RosieDreams, since I think a lot my readers will enjoy this as the flowers finally die back and autumn arrives. Thanks!
    (http://rosiedreams.com/a-few-good-reads/)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails