Thursday, November 17, 2011

Doing "School"

Doing "School" ~preschool style. 


We are part of a weekly homeschool co-op that gets together every Tuesday for classes. Besides having a chance to hang out with a whole group of friends for the day, the boys have music classes, and art, show and tell (public speaking) and all kinds of fun stuff. The co-op is in addition to the regular school that we do at home, you know the "important" things, like language arts, math, science...

I often take the little girls to hang out and "do school" with the preschool class. At first both Claire and Little Miss H were shy and didn't really know what to do. But now after a few weeks they really enjoy spending and hour or two in there with the bigger kids (mostly 3 and 4 year olds) while I help out where I'm needed in the co-op. 




 Little Miss H can't play with play-dough yet. She just doesn't get it! She sees all of those plastic knives and cooking utensils, and hears the other children talking about making "cookies" and food and she just tries to eat it. No matter how many times I've explained it to her that we are just pretending, she still tries to eat it. Every. Single. Time. So, I just let her play with something else while the other children play with play-dough. 


 See those adorable hair bows? They are turkeys! My mom made them for the girls last week. So cute! They got lots of compliments on their hair bows this week at co-op.

Doing "School" ~a field trip.
 On Monday afternoon I took the kids on a field trip to the Sequoya Birthplace museum. Matthew and Ethan are studying Native Americans. And Matthew needed to write a report on the first people in Tennessee.  I went to this museum as a child... it is exactly the same as it was when I was in 6th grade!


 I spent almost the entire time chasing the girls down, thankfully baby Emmett slept in his sling through it all. The boys enjoyed themselves and I think they learned quite a bit. Matthew and Ethan both chose to talk about the Indians the next day in their show and tell class at the co-op.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for stopping by. I am sure your boys will LOVE the thing at Bass Pro, it is definitely worth going to.

    Such a beautiful bunch of kids you have here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel
    I was going to say how much I love your girls' hair ribbons ~ your Mum is so creative!
    Your co-op sounds wonderful! What a blessing to have the added support of those classes!
    Hope you have a wonderful week my friend
    Blessings
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great opportunity!

    I wanted to let you know I'm passing on a blog award. Please check it out at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2011/11/another-award.html. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,

    Such loveliness you've been up to, and with a baby and puppies too! I love the little wool hats, adorable! Congrats on the blog award, well-deserved!
    As for how cute kids and play-dough are together...well, that may not be exactly right, since your children are gorgeous no matter what they are doing, but "doing preschool" is my favorite time in the whole school experience. Lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails