Today I wanted to share with you an easy little tutorial on how to make Comets! Comets are really simple throwing toys that are a lot of fun for all ages!
To start with you'll need the following supplies:
- A small rectangle of fabric (mine is about 12 inches by 6 inches or 30cm by 15 cm)
- needle for sewing or a sewing machine
- ribbons (4 or 5 ribbons about a yard or meter long each)
- Comet filling (I used popcorn, dry rice or beans also work well!)
- adhesive tape or straight pins
Once it is filled (loosely so you can still have room to sew it shut easily.) fold over the top to the inside as shown in the picture below:
Pinch the sides neatly together and sew it up. I just top-stitched across the top with my sewing machine...
Now for some fun, grab a few kids and head outside to play with your new toy. Children love playing with comets. They are very easy to throw. The long ribbon tails are perfect for holding on to and swinging around before launching your comet.
They really are fun for all ages!