Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Books should be free!

Our family loves audio books! We listen to them while we do chores, in the car, the boys listen to them while playing with legos or coloring. Rodrigo likes to listen to them while working sometimes... if we are not reading, we are often found listening to books!

  
 
 


Most of our audio books we pick up at the local library. But yesterday I found this website through a fellow blogger and was so excited about it I just had to share! It is called Books Should Be Free.  They have have hundreds (possibly thousands) of 100% free audio books from the public domain. I have found them very easy to download directly into my itunes, but you can download the mp3 files directly to your computer if you don't use itunes! This is a great resource. I can't wait to listen to so many of the books, old favorites from my childhood... stories that I want to boys to hear... the possibilities! The hard part is choosing what to listen to first!

(*All of the pictures used in this post are from Books should be free website*)

Another of my very favorite websites for free audio books for kids (especially the younger ones) is Kiddie Records Weekly. Kiddie Records has hundreds of free mp3 files that can be downloaded. This is from their website:

 "Kiddie Records Weekly began in 2005 as a one year project devoted to celebrating the golden age of children's records. This period roughly spanned from the mid forties through the early fifties and produced a wealth of all-time classics. Many of these recordings were extravagant Hollywood productions and featured big time celebrities and composers.


Over time these forgotten treasures slipped off the radar and it has become our mission to give them a new lease on life by sharing them with today's generation of online listeners. Each week throughout the year we added a new recording and before we knew it, our one year project turned into a labor of love now in it's sixth year!"

My little boys love listening to these old record stories and songs! There are many stories found on this site that I listened to as a little girl on my record player. Such fun memories! There are lots of classic Loony Toons and Disney stories throughout the site as well as tons of dramatized bible stories. I'm sure if you take a few minutes to look around you'll find something your children would love to listen to!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these links! We are desperately after something new to listen to in the car on our long trips to town & audio books would be perfect!
    Have a lovely day
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these links. A couple more are librivox.org and storynory.com I wouldn't recommend story nory's Bible stories since they're told as fairy tales, but the actual fairy tales are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these links. I might have to use some of this in the upcoming weeks as baby #5 makes her arrival! Also, congrats on your little #5 on the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails